A new impossible thing, before breakfast

Discussion Of All Things Jenniversal (http://jenniverse.com)

A new impossible thing, before breakfast

Postby Anna » Wed May 21, 2008 6:40 am

http://jenniverse.com/impossible%20thin ... phony.html

And you stopped it?
Oh Jennifer, visit Washington DC, make a rain symphony ... Ooops
I'm not a terrorist, but such gift's should be used very useful.... grin :twisted:

And then just come with your family to europe, there's also a lot to do - muahmuahuhahaha....
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Re: A new impossible thing, before breakfast

Postby Plasman » Wed May 21, 2008 10:55 am

Hey folks!
Took me a few tries² to join you, but hey... that's technology!

And YAY! I'm glad Jennifer's decided to keep going with the Impossible Things series. I am very impressed with the artwork in this one. Especially the last panel.

One other thing...
Comparing your Rainsymphony skill with this one...
you would make one HECK of a strange superhero!

Perhaps a little recalibration is in order? ;]
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed May 21, 2008 2:08 pm

Plasman wrote:Hey folks!

Comparing your Rainsymphony skill with this one...
you would make one HECK of a strange superhero!

Welcome, Plasman!

Boy howdy, would I make a lame-ass superhero. "Look! That villain has put the secret formula that will save the world on a... small, paper, decorative object hanging from a thread... and it would be inconvenient to walk around to the side to read it! Let's call Electric Twister for help!"
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby strange_person » Wed May 21, 2008 3:41 pm

If you got some formal training with a proper superheroic organization, perhaps it could be generalized to simply 'telekinesis for angular momentum,' with the electricity-control being the application of the same effect to extremely small objects, affecting the 'spin' of electrons and thereby ionizing the air in a controlled fashion.

Doctor Nefarious, his weather-control plot foiled, is escaping in his private jet. It's moving too fast for Brawndo to nail it with a thrown rock, too high above the ground for Fast Woman's super-jump, and of course the onboard deflector shield is adequate defense against Laser Cat. So, Electric Twister reaches out with her mind, redistributing the rotation of the turbines across the vehicle's entire structure. Both engines simultaneously stall, then catch fire. The jet spirals like a curveball, up and to the right, then nose-first into the ground. Nefarious somehow manages to safely eject; Laser Cat spots the parachute and provides telemetry. Fast Woman runs ahead to intercept, Brawndo drives the Perfectly Normal Car, and Electric Twister "has some fun" with the descending supervillain. By the time the Perfectly Normal Car has reached the crash site, Nefarious lying in a pool of his own vomit, would be too dizzy to stand even if he weren't completely bound with parachute silk, and meekly addresses Fast Woman as "mistress."

Tune in next week for Adventures in Jenniverse Episode 13: the Doomsday Clock!
Last edited by strange_person on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby InterNutter » Wed May 21, 2008 6:22 pm

If you can call the rain to remote places, we still need to fill the dams up Wyvenhoe way :D

I have my own lame weather game, called "push the clouds". The goal is to get the damn things to rain inland, where it's needed, instead of on us, 'cause we're practically swamped. Not that it works a lot, though :(
InterNutter
Kumquat Class Sensei

Postby Wizard CaT » Wed May 21, 2008 7:23 pm

I can see your butt.

Teehee. ^v^

So how close were you to the tree that got hit?
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Platalena » Wed May 21, 2008 8:32 pm

You thought you were controlling the lightning and the rain, when really it was HYPERSPACE RAIN. Every time you call down that energy from the sky, a copy of some poor sap gets carted off to another universe.

At least that's my crackpot explanation of the week.
Platalena
Welcome, New User!

Postby RaharuAharu » Wed May 21, 2008 10:03 pm

Perhaps both are more examples of this

http://www.impactlab.com/2008/05/18/hum ... he-future/

A new study from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute suggests that the human visual system is equipped with the ability to foresee the future.

Assistant Professor Mark Changizi says that it takes nearly one-tenth of a second for the brain to perceive what the eyes see.

To compensate for such neural delays, he claims, the visual system has developed the ability to generate perceptions of what will occur one-tenth of a second into the future. Changizi says that it is due to this quality of the visual system that when an observer actually perceives something, it is the present rather than what happened one-tenth of a second ago.

Building on his “perceiving-the-present” hypothesis, Changizi was able to systematically organize and explain more than 50 types of visual illusions that occur because the brain is trying to perceive the near future.

“Illusions occur when our brains attempt to perceive the future, and those perceptions don’t match reality. There has been great success at discovering and documenting countless visual illusions. There has been considerably less success in organizing them,” says Changizi, who is the lead author on the research paper.

“My research focused on systematizing these known incidents of failed future seeing into a ‘periodic table’ of illusion classes that can predict a broad pattern of the illusions we might be subject to,” he adds.

The new organization of illusions presents a range of potential applications, including more effective visual displays and enhanced visual arts.

It especially may help constrain neuroscientists aiming to understand the mechanisms underlying vision, says Changizi who conducted his research during a fellowship in the Sloan-Swartz Center for Theoretical Neurobiology at the California Institute of Technology. The study has been published in the journal Cognitive Science.

While is is not truly seeing in to the future, perhaps your brain is acting on super subtle visual cues that are only being perceived by your subconscious mind. And reacting so fast... point out the lighting, or to subconsciously knowing which way the object will spin... Since it is on a subconscious level it would almost seem like some kind of Psi event.
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed May 21, 2008 10:14 pm

Wizard CaT wrote:I can see your butt.

Teehee. ^v^

So how close were you to the tree that got hit?

Less than one block. They were on the lot right behind our house, across a narrow alleyway. Maybe 30 to 40 feet from where I was standing. Possibly 20. In that range. Far too close for comfort. My family was right behind me, watching, under the awning of the house itself.

When the lightning struck, I wet myself instantly, and ran inside terrified. I ended up cowering in a corner by Elde's bed. I was out of my skull scared. Reasonably enough, considering.

For me, it was as if the world had exploded. Everything became light and sound, bright and loud beyond description. Having lightning strike within 40 feet, likely less, is just... it's very, very loud, and blindingly bright. There is no shadow. And the boom is so loud that I could not even hear the top of the tree explode. I could smell the burning, though.

There were burnt fronds in our yard. That's how close.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Anna » Wed May 21, 2008 11:20 pm

Now after you made it public...
There are a few possible things after breakfast, (which I had a minute ago), which could happen.
1. In the next days there will be some guys in the near of your house, wearing dark suits and ties and sunglasses, especially if it is at night. (in old Germany's 30's they would wear a leather coat.) Be aware!.
2.a. Other guy's less overdressed will ring at the door, showing you a contract, and you become a member of the cast of "Heroes". 2.b. They simple buy your story, only a part of, and create the "Flashgirl" for the show. Later she will be killed by Sylar... no, to simple, let's be surprise.
3. You wrote about "rainfall", maybe your powers are a reflection in this world, or you will be the person who can save us, if it arrives in our corner of the multiverse, sad, you stopped the training.
4. The big gamer of SIM-Universe, notice that you are a software bug, with all consequences.

Edit: 21st Febuary 2010.
Now season 3 of "Heroes" was finally broadcasted in Germany ...
They had a Flash Girl!!
She was killed by Sylar!!
Damn!
How could I know that???
And why wasn't Jennifer paid for this?
Last edited by Anna on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Eep » Thu May 22, 2008 10:01 am

Jennifer, have you ever tried making dust motes dance in sunbeams? Or tried moving tiny, single celled critters under a microscope? Perhaps there is an interesting way to include your sensitivity to electricity, too, if you are sensitive to delicate bioelectric fields.

I had an idea long, long ago about an associate of superheroes who used her tiny mental telepathy powers to manipulate DNA.
Eep
Our New Friend

Postby Plasman » Fri May 23, 2008 8:39 am

Hey folks!

I still can't get over that you have "MEGA LIGHTNING POWERS!!!" - and "mini twirling powers" as a counterpoint.
It's either WAY TOO MUCH - or barely there.
Were you at the back of the queue when they handed out these abilities? You couldn't have got something... um, more practical? Like the ability to always find your car keys, or something?

Seriously, though, I'm kinda jealous. I'm a total ZERO when it comes to psi-things. I have NEVER experienced anything even remotely extraordinary in my life.

But someone did see my Doppelganger once. So she claims.
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Fri May 23, 2008 10:29 am

Plasman wrote:I still can't get over that you have "MEGA LIGHTNING POWERS!!!" - and "mini twirling powers" as a counterpoint.
It's either WAY TOO MUCH - or barely there.

It kind of makes sense from a physical perspective. The amount of kinetic energy required to rotate something hanging from a string, and the amount of chemical energy (in the form of atmospheric ionization) required to slightly redirect an already-incoming lightning bolt, are probably comparable, and they're both a matter of electron spin.

Imagine if somebody had fire powers, normally barely enough to light a cigarette, but every once in a while they can make an SUV explode. Sounds like pretty crazy degree of variability, right? Unless you consider what a lit cigarette could do to the inside of a gas tank.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Plasman » Sat May 24, 2008 11:42 am

Good point!
I hadn't realised that.

It makes you wonder what the rest of us are capable of. I think there's still a lot of potential we've yet to tap.

Anyone game to experiment?
________
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby arex » Sat May 24, 2008 2:28 pm

I have amazing powers of flatulence.

Hnngh.
"Ahab knew, baby...I lust." -- Vet-san
arex
Apple Class Master

Postby Talaru Corinu » Sun May 25, 2008 11:29 pm

I have the ability to translate my senses into each other. You might find it useful to call it Selective Synesthesia.
Taste the Sound, Smell the light, I hear your touch.
Talaru Corinu
Blueberry Class

Postby Alikat » Sun May 25, 2008 11:54 pm

I have the power of paradox, because everything I say is true, and this sentence is a lie. It's like a verbal Fist of the North Star. I say a few words and then I wait for the cyborg's head to explode.
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Thilia » Mon May 26, 2008 2:40 pm

Normal... coordinate!
Thilia
Site Admin

Postby strange_person » Mon May 26, 2008 7:06 pm

I am very lucky, but I have reason to doubt that that power is actually mine.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Anna » Mon May 26, 2008 11:31 pm

My Power is probably to change from one universe to another, not the big changing, the little small one.
A train changes, I stepped in in my home town and left it 30 minutes later in Duesseldorf, and it was a different train
Sometimes I read that people, from whom I thought they are dead, are still alive, or some facts are different...
It could be a mighty power, or the beginning of Alzheimer.
#_@
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Next

Return to Jenniverse.com