The Wednesday Special • Jenny's Faerni's

Discussion Of All Things Jenniversal (http://jenniverse.com)

The Wednesday Special • Jenny's Faerni's

Postby Anna » Wed May 28, 2008 1:24 am

Jenny did/re-did her Faerni concept, for the Spore game
http://pasteldefender.com/

Examples:
(he he he, I like her doing of evolution)

I think they are worth to get someday a comic adventure too.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Re: The Wednesday Special • Jenny's Faerni's

Postby Zev » Wed May 28, 2008 4:56 pm

Oh man I would LOVE to visit Taelis once I get my race into space! I LOVE those tree buildings. And that space ship reminds me of the dome ships from the book series "Animorphs" only more awesome.

I've also had a whole people, buildings and vehicles designed for years, just for this game! I wonder if theres a special friend code kind of deal you can enter to put a specific person's planet into your game? But if so, then I would hope there would be a special way to find it quickly. I wouldn't want to have to spend weeks or even months going to planet to planet just to find the one!

Also, no hair? Really? Whats up with that? I could have sworn I saw a kind of horse like mane on an alien in a screen shot. It won't ruin my people if they don't have hair, but still, it seems odd to not include it. Or wait, is it just body fur then? Because that I can understand, would be a strain on the game.
Zev
Our New Pal Can Write!

Postby RaharuAharu » Wed May 28, 2008 5:03 pm

I like them. Very very much.

^__^
Hello! *~( ! !)>
Alien Parachronism
RaharuAharu
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 pm

I would guess that a relatively stiff mane would be far easier to render than a soft, all-over pelt.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed May 28, 2008 11:03 pm

It is possible, I understand, to select preferences for specific creators in Spore, whose work you want more of in the game. Likewise, I have read that one can also ban or exclude creators and their works as well.

Apparently, it is also possible to set a preference for general types of things... such as 'orange' things, or 'rounded' things, traits or tags that allow the player to make their galaxy, or at least planet, biased towards a specific aesthetic feel.

Remember, the Creature Creator editor comes out June 17th. There are two flavors - a free download with half of the creature parts, and a 10 dollar (goes towards Spore price in September) full version with all the candy to play with.

So, I will be... making things... come June 17th. I cannot wait.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Alikat » Thu May 29, 2008 12:30 am

I am betting that the Spore engine will not support the Faerni version of sexual dimorphism. You will probably be allowed to have more than two sexes, but I bet sex will be immutable once a creature is "born."
Alikat
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Relee » Thu May 29, 2008 6:46 am

I'm not sure how procreation works in Spore... I don't think it's possible to make species where the male and female are different, like humans. You look for a 'partner' and it appears, there are no sexual organs so you can imagine whatever you want. I've never seen any visible gender differences in the civilized creatures. As I understand it, in the Tribal and Civilization phases there are other 'colours' of creatures like the different colours of humans on earth, but that's about it. You can decorate people for certain jobs, as well, but I don't think there are visible genders. Then when you get to the civilization phase, you can't focus on individual relationships, so procreation happens off-screen.

And yeah, I read that the game will import content from your 'friends list' before importing content from other people. As well, the game uses advanced systems of image recognition to classify the style of your work. They were talking about actually charting the 'cuteness' of creatures as a metric, for example. If you go for the giant eyes with long lashes that metric will go up, and it'll start importing cutesy creatures and making building suggestions that match that asthetic. I'm not sure if that's still in or not. Since then, and much more recently, they've talked about how their content references system is based somewhat on Amazon, so that as you pick things, related things are shown.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Alfador » Fri May 30, 2008 10:37 am

Mmm... Imagine critters based almost-but-not-quite on Earth creatures. Six-legged foxoids with eyestalks. Feathered serpents. Giant spiders with lobster claws. A puppy with five compound eyes on its back (none on the face) and four grappling tentacle-hands!
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Fri May 30, 2008 11:26 am

Alfador wrote: Feathered serpents. Giant spiders with lobster claws.

Scorpions are already arachnids, and have lobster-like claws. A feathered serpent is called a 'couatl.'

Although I suppose it would be fun to make a functioning ecosystem exclusively out of mythic and/or cryptozoological creatures.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Alfador » Fri May 30, 2008 12:19 pm

strange_person wrote:
Alfador wrote: Feathered serpents. Giant spiders with lobster claws.

Scorpions are already arachnids, and have lobster-like claws. A feathered serpent is called a 'couatl.'

Although I suppose it would be fun to make a functioning ecosystem exclusively out of mythic and/or cryptozoological creatures.

a) I didn't think of scorpions! I was just making stuff up as I went along, but yeah, scorpions are pretty fearsome in real life.

b) I was definitely thinking of couatls when I said "feathered serpent." :D

c) YES IT WOULD!!! ...And it will not be long before someone has a planet with giant cave spiders, bronze colossi, tentacle demons, olmmen... Oh wait, I forgot, there's already two to the power of bumfuck such worlds, easily generatable in Dwarf Fortress. XD (I didn't actually forget, I was hinting that some Dwarf Fortress players will also be playing Spore. ;) )
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Fri May 30, 2008 12:31 pm

Yes, but DF also has things like turtles, and cats, and those dastardly goblin-sympathizing monarch butterflies. I'm talking about an ecosystem entirely devoid of non-mythical organisms.
Hello!

2<3
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Relee » Fri May 30, 2008 7:12 pm

They don't have feathers, but there are flying snakes. They look like living ornithopters.

And the worst in DF are the Raccoons. They keep stealing the extremely valuable giant spider silk clothes I take off of the kobolds and goblins who get oblitterated in my fort.
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Zygote Jr. » Fri May 30, 2008 9:33 pm

...raccoons keep getting into Zygote's valuable garbage. They're worse than the crows.
Zygote Jr.
100 Post Little Master

Return to Jenniverse.com