Wednesday Of Wonders

Discussion Of All Things Jenniversal (http://jenniverse.com)

Wednesday Of Wonders

Postby Anna » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:55 am

http://www.pasteldefender.com/images/shadowboxlbp.jpg

Before Jennifer cries out very loud, that again no one has noticed it...
Here is her wonder of today...
For a few days exclusive on Pasteldefender.com

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Ok, you're thinking, what the farg is this?
A reasonable question, considering.

For a looong time now, I have been following the upcoming Playstation 3 game, LittleBigPlanet by Media Molecule. I've also always had a thing for certain aesthetics, among them 8-bit, which I started my messed-up games career doing graphics in, and playful, cardboard, childlike imagery. LittleBigPlanet's entire aesthetic is the latter, since the game stars little stuffed, cloth and stitches 'Sackboys' (and girls) who also happen to have Creator powers to make worlds, running in four-player mayhem through a literally endless number of photo-realistic, film-like platform landscapes that the player can not only play, but build and modify by themselves at will. Needless to say, wow.

I made a shadowbox to hang on my wall that follows the LittleBigPlanet aesthetic, and though it suffers a bit from my scanner, I thought I would share it for this Wednesday Of Wonder. On my wall, it is so arranged that the lighting shines into the box and illuminates it from within, making it an impressive portal into another world, but you can at least get the idea of the basic design of it from me slapping it on my scanner. I've put a little toy robot man in the doorway inside of it on my wall, the lighting is especially dramatic from inside the box on the little toy. I wish I was better at using Stephen's camera.

Still, that is what this is all about, and if you haven't played with cardboard box material in a while, you might consider it, it has a wonderful look to it, and it is fun to make stuff with.

Oh, and you might want to check out everything you can online about LittleBigPlanet, as it is the most utterly compelling reason -in my opinion- to consider bothering with a Playstation 3; it is absolutely the most amazing sort of game - a true system seller, innovative in every way, and I actually believe more interesting, important, and purely fun than Spore, and that is a hell of a thing to say, if you think about it.

LittleBigPlanet comes out this October, at last report.
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Re: Wednesday Of Wonders

Postby Relee » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:00 pm

CARDBOARD RULES WOO ^v^
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Nick » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:21 pm

It's a shame Little Big Planet is coming out on PS3 instead of anything else. So many people won't get to see it because of that. I won't. Darn. It looks so fun!

Jenny, you're not a bad photography. You're better than me! Please take a picture of the light box hanging on the wall, as it's meant to be seen?
It's short for Nicole.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby Anna » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:20 am

The Wonder of Wednesday is only two days online, you always have to be fast.
Now it's gone .
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:24 am

Anna wrote:The Wonder of Wednesday is only two days online, you always have to be fast.
Now it's gone .

All such things, and more, can always be seen again in my Wednesdays Of Wonder Repository, bottom button on the left of the PDH main page below To Save Her, or use this link:
http://www.pasteldefender.com/zxvarious.html
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Plasman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:15 am

I found that link ages ago!
It has a bunch of random Jennish stuff on it, and I realised that was where I'd already seen the Oozecat from Impossible Things Before Breakfast!

EDIT: Oops! I was thinking of a totally different link that has some similar stuff on it... has anyone tried clicking on the animated stars right on the bottom of the Jenniverse front page, incidentally?

I thought the lovely corrugated cardboard border was a nice touch. You can get some good textures from it. Man, I used to make some pretty good stuff from card, but I haven't done anything with it in ages.
Have you made any more?
Last edited by Plasman on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby meatwhichdreams » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:43 pm

Woweee, I never noticed that link! What a great collection! ~spots Kai animation and squeals~ ^v^
meatwhichdreams
Grape Class

Postby Nick » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:53 pm

Plasman wrote:I found that link ages ago!

Jenny has been hiding things like that in her websites since forever. On the Unicorn Jelly site there are little blobby guys at the bottom which hide some neat stuff. On the old forums there was at least one thread about all these easter eggs.
Nick
Apple Class

Postby meatwhichdreams » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Wooooosh, there went my last hour. :D

I always just assumed those little guys were decorations, because I am remarkably dim sometimes in the creatively poking things department. A ton of these I've never seen before and I've been digging around Jenniverse for years. Which just goes to show that there is always a greater spelunker, no?

Jennifer, this one is....
http://unicornjelly.com/klefaster1.htm

Oh mannn.... :mrgreen: What a payoff.
meatwhichdreams
Grape Class

Postby Plasman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:33 pm

^v^
I love treasure hunts...

EDIT:
...wait a second...
@,@
...JenNIFFER!!!
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Return to Jenniverse.com