Jesus Cures the Leopards.

Discussion Of All Things Jenniversal (http://jenniverse.com)

Re: Jesus Cures the Leopards.

Postby Anna » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:39 am

Ashes wrote:... Do these people go around pronouncing "Hawaii" has "Ha-why?"

I do, that's in german very correct, except this "?", how is it correct in english and in american?

Well, another example of fine english, you are hungry, but you say also hungry if you mean the country Hungary.
"I'm (from) hungry and hungry!"
//]
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Ashes » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:29 pm

When talking about the country, I say "hun ger ee." Rhymes with dungaree. When asking if you need to eat, I say "hun gree."

Hawaii is pronounced "huh why ee" or "hah why ee" or "huh wah ee" or "hah wah eye ee." It depends on accent and the differences are subtle. Hawaii rhymes with kawaii. Since anime became popular in the mainland, I've heard a lot of people saying kawaii wrong too. This mispronunciation is the source of :D 's name.

edit: It's half the source of Kay Wai's name. The other half is the famous KY-Jelly, a sexual lubricant.

edit 2: I cut people slack on mispronouncing kawaii since I've heard native Japanese speakers pronounce it that way too sometimes. It's no big deal when a Puerto Rican immigrant says "probly" instead of probably, but I cringe whenever I hear one say cellophane instead of cellphone.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Plasman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:58 pm

You'll probably find that there are many such words that are pronounced differently from place to place. I believe the correct term for them is a Shibboleth. It's a reference to an incident in the Bible, where a suspected spy was asked to pronounce a word that any true local would have said in a particular way. The stranger couldn't say it properly, thus he was exposed and executed.
Okay, so you're not likely to be found out as a spy these days! But you'll find all sorts of subtle variation, and it's quite interesting to discover the differences.
For instance, in the US, you guys refer to Element 13 as "a-LUM-in-um", emphasis on the second syllable. But we in Australia (and I suspect in the UK too) pronounce it "a-lum-IN-yum". I believe it's spelled differently between countries too.
Also, "tomayto, tomahto"...

PS.
Jesus was a shoving leopard.
- attrib. to Rev. Spooner :mrgreen:
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Ashes » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:55 pm

Plasman wrote:For instance, in the US, you guys refer to Element 13 as "a-LUM-in-um", emphasis on the second syllable. But we in Australia (and I suspect in the UK too) pronounce it "a-lum-IN-yum". I believe it's spelled differently between countries too.

Well that's because aluminum was already named, but some stereotypical tuffy british guys with monocles and bowler hats didn't like the name. They thought it should end in -ium just like titanium and other metals in that group. So they changed it in all the official documents.

In the grand scheme of things little matters like this matter little. So long as everyone can communicate, it's OK by me. Some things bug me, but some things will always bug me, so who cares? I just hate miscommunication.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby meatwhichdreams » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:52 am

Plasman wrote:For instance, in the US, you guys refer to Element 13 as "a-LUM-in-um", emphasis on the second syllable. But we in Australia (and I suspect in the UK too) pronounce it "a-lum-IN-yum". I believe it's spelled differently between countries too.

Well that's because aluminum was already named, but some stereotypical tuffy british guys with monocles and bowler hats didn't like the name. They thought it should end in -ium just like titanium and other metals in that group. So they changed it in all the official documents.

In the grand scheme of things little matters like this matter little. So long as everyone can communicate, it's OK by me. Some things bug me, but some things will always bug me, so who cares? I just hate miscommunication.

Time for a song!
^v^
How, in every visible way, you shine
As if the stars in your wake align
Almost impossible to malign
But just below where you shine, you burn
Although I know it, I never learn
Just goes to show that I can't discern

Aluminum to me
Aluminium to some
You can shine like silver all you want
But you're just Aluminum

Illuminating just what you want to show
You'd never rust, but I'd never know
You can't be trusted, I can't let go

Every time you're here, I forget
When you leave, you leave only regret
Every time you're here, I forget
Everything

You're so lightweight, how can you survive?
Recycling moments from others' lives
You're not as precious as you contrive

Aluminum to me
Aluminium to some
You can shine like silver all you want
But you're just Aluminum.

Any excuse for Barenaked Ladies is a good excuse!
meatwhichdreams
Grape Class

Postby Plasman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:00 am

The whole Aluminium thing is really kinda moot.
Like centimeter=centimetre. Or color=colour.
Actually, despite the idiosyncrasies there's still a lot of meaning getting across. Just because the words took a slightly different route, doesn't mean we don't get each other. :D
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Mitsukara » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Ashes wrote:First person to contract "you all" is a rotten egg.

Yauwgh'ulll.

Gauouwgh-leey, murssah sayeks alaihvv. Ah dunn rekkin' sso.
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Postby Ashes » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:55 pm

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Mitsukara » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:05 pm

You're welcome. :)
Hello! ^^
AKA: Mittens (also Milly) ~My deviantart page~ Regularly updating lately! Yay!

"You know, I’m really glad I don’t use my butt for anything except sex." ~ Amaranth the field nymph, Tales of MU
^ I wish this is how butts worked. Alas.
Mitsukara
Melon Class

Location: My spaceship (which is totally not just a cardboard box I wrote "spaceship" on)

Previous

Return to Jenniverse.com