Furries?

Discussion Of All Things Jenniversal (http://jenniverse.com)

Furries?

Postby Leasara » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:34 pm

I've been visiting Jennifer's comics since 2000 or 2001, some time early on in the Unicorn Jelly run. I've loaded that page, or Heliotrope, or To Save Her every day since I first found Unicorn Jelly, and today is the first day I have ever felt unwelcome.

I'm a transgendered woman, and while I first enjoyed the novelty of a slime-type creature that took on aspects of an animal I also identified with, I came to respect the comics for the views they expressed on acceptance and harmony. I have been trying to complete my transition (get SRS) for the last 12 years, ever since I was 18, and these comics are part of what have helped make that time bearable.

I am also a furry. If I had the chance, I would be an anthropormorphic unicorn (pretty much exactly like this).

I guess I was just surprised to see the "Jesus Cures the Leopards" comic, since it seems rather contrary to what I thought the rest of the comics were about, the whole tolerance thing. All I'm really looking for with this post is to find out what is behind that pic, are Jen and her fans really all anti-furry, or am I missing the joke.
Leasara
Welcome, New User!

Re: Furries?

Postby Idiot Glee » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:44 pm

Leasara wrote: are Jen and her fans really all anti-furry, or am I missing the joke.

@,@ !?!! ???
Hello!

And, "One thing there's no getting by—
I've been a wicked girl," said I;
"But if I can't be sorry, why,
I might as well be glad!"

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby strange_person » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:24 pm

Have you... ever looked at the forums? Or fan art? At all?

It's not an anti-furry thing. It's a silly pun, and arguably anti-Jesus, but if you look closely you'll notice that the anthro leopard in question has not actually been 'cured,' because the state of being furry is not an illness.
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Leasara » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Ok, Cool.

I have not been to the forums before, or the fan art, which is probably why I missed the joke. I don't have the context they would add. On it's own all I saw was a jab at furries in general, which seems out of character for the tone of the comics I've read here. That's why I decided to ask before I just wrote off the site et. al.

Guess I'll go poke around the fanart.
Leasara
Welcome, New User!

Postby Idiot Glee » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:54 pm

Leasara wrote:Guess I'll go poke around the fanart.

*giggle*
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:03 pm

Just to be clear on all points:

I love furries. One of my spouses is a furry.

I despise Jesus. And Allah. And all the 'isms' of the world. And Mumbo Jumbo The God Of The Jungle as far as that goes.

But a play on the myth of 'Jesus curing the lepers' is just too frigging funny to not draw. Sandi and I were giggling over that one all night, a few days ago. I just had to draw it.

Yes, I can make fun of things I like, as well as things I don't like. Amazin' ain't it?

Arguably, I am a furry myself, or at least some kind of Otherkin (as they call it):

in any case, I am weird-friendly and oddball supportive. I'm nutcase positive and geek encouraging. I'm 550% in favor of the unusual, and if you are a farging freak, you are my kind of people. I am, however, more than a bit silly. I like silly.

Welcome.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby strange_person » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:04 pm

By the way, how many syllables are in the correct pronunciation of your name?
Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Leasara » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:15 pm

Actually, I emailed back and forth with you a couple years back, so I'm somewhat familiar with the silly. As for the God-stuff, I'm still having trouble extracting myself from the Mormon church, looks like they may finally try to excommunicate me, which includes lots of family stuff, and I guess my sensitivity is set a little high at the moment. Sorry for the knee-jerk.

strange_person wrote:By the way, how many syllables are in the correct pronunciation of your name?

Mine? Four. Phonetically it would be something like Lee-uh-SAR-uh.
Leasara
Welcome, New User!

Postby Idiot Glee » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:

in any case, I am weird-friendly and oddball supportive. I'm nutcase positive and geek encouraging. I'm 550% in favor of the unusual, and if you are a farging freak, you are my kind of people. I am, however, more than a bit silly. I like silly.

Welcome.

Judging by the picture, there's an element of plushophilia too... That horn looks like someone is gonna get stuffed!
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Relee » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:56 pm

Naw they're not anti-furry they're anti-christian.

And sorry to hear about the thing with the Mormon Church. Can't you just leave the church without them being mean to your family?
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Leasara » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:01 pm

No, they're not being mean to my family, they're getting my family to put pressure on me. You send a letter in, the church as an organization torments you for a bit, then either excommunicate you or just let you go. It's like a strange member retention program.
Leasara
Welcome, New User!

Postby draque » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:57 pm

I make anti-furry comments on a semi regular basis on the boards, but this should be taken with a grain of salt, given that I go to furry cons every year to meet up with other furs ^^().
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Ashes » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:10 pm

There are a lot of furries on this board. It may actually be easier to count the active members who identify as humans.

My avatar is a robot, and robots are cool, but I do not identify with robots. Tychomonger identifies as a mad scientist, which is a kind of human, though not one which tends to remain human for long. Umm... *think think* ... nobody else comes to mind.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Idiot Glee » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Ashes wrote:There are a lot of furries on this board. It may actually be easier to count the active members who identify as humans.

My avatar is a robot, and robots are cool, but I do not identify with robots. Tychomonger identifies as a mad scientist, which is a kind of human, though not one which tends to remain human for long. Umm... *think think* ... nobody else comes to mind.

Mitsukara, but she's kinda got a turtle thing going on. A tough shell on her... one tough shell to crack...

Arex is furry, but not in that way...

Crunchlet I think isn't furry.

uhh SvZurich has color changing hair, but no fur!

Me? I have 4 ears and a tail, you put it together.
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Anna » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:31 am

Leasara wrote: are Jen and her fans really all anti-furry, or am I missing the joke.

Ahm, HI, at first, ... und herzlich willkommen!

well, "missing the joke" was also my thing.
But now I nearly understand it...
About furry's.
JC is hitting a guy in a costume, not a real Leopard, so the door is open for interpretations.
Maybe JC can't really cure, he can only beat, hit, smashing ..., you know, all the things we also can do.

I'm not a furry, for several reasons, and I prefer to shave my body every evening. :wink:
Anna
Worthy Forumite

Postby Relee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:39 pm

Leasara wrote:No, they're not being mean to my family, they're getting my family to put pressure on me. You send a letter in, the church as an organization torments you for a bit, then either excommunicate you or just let you go. It's like a strange member retention program.

Geez. Do you really have to send a letter? Can't you just stop going to church?
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Monthenor » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:43 pm

Idiot Glee wrote:
Ashes wrote:There are a lot of furries on this board. It may actually be easier to count the active members who identify as humans.

Mitsukara, but she's kinda got a turtle thing going on. A tough shell on her... one tough shell to crack...

I'm a straight white guy, human all the way. You may commence persecuting me.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Idiot Glee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:51 pm

Monthenor wrote:I'm a straight white guy, human all the way. You may commence persecuting me.

Wha? *arches back and bears claws* You sir will tell me what makes you odd! Is it gold? Are you a horde of pirate treasure posing as human? Are you weather incarnate? Are you a storm?

Are you really a ghost? What is it?!?!
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Wizard CaT » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Monthenor wrote:
Idiot Glee wrote:

I'm a straight white guy, human all the way. You may commence persecuting me.

I know right? We need to make an Association.
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Idiot Glee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Ahhh! Straight white guys! They're everywhere!
Hello!

-Millay
Idiot Glee
1000 Post Forum Master!

Next

Return to Jenniverse.com