Hikikomori: The Game

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Hikikomori: The Game

Postby Ashes » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:47 pm

Hikikomori: The Game is a traditional pencil-paper-and-dice RPG which is played solo. Single player. You play as a hikikomori, a recluse, a shut-in, a NEET. You make a character, roll for what happens, decide what to do, and write an in-character journal about it. It's a produce of the 24 Hour RPG project, in which participants (attempt to) write a complete roleplaying game in just twenty four consecutive hours.

You can download it here: http://dsg.neko-machi.com/hikikomori.pdf

The author is Ewen Cluney: http://yarukizero.wordpress.com/

This is an example of play: http://l-the-fangirl.livejournal.com/58121.html#cutid1

Seiko Aino

17 Hope (3 dice)
Obsessive Hobby: Dating Sims 16
Rescuer: Crusader 14
Imaginary Friend: Tokho doll that occasionally "comes to life to offer advice" (Current demeanor: Depressing) 16

And the first rolls...

Go Outside - 6 + 3 hope dice = meet someone from old life. His reaction - 9; becomes a Rescuer (Kindly, 23); he doesn't really affect me.

Rant about Dating Sims to my male Rescuer - He's interested in them, but not very

Placate Imaginary Friend - She's not bying it.

Which I will turn into this story.

Mood: Confused
Music: Tales Of Centuries Hills

Eh... today was strange.

Ran out of juice and rice this morning... had to have an egg. Bleah. I can never boil them right, they taste like sulfur. Tochan said that they tasted like the first fireball she cast, ha ha. Way to cheer me up, Tochan. Told her I'd be out to the store; she said "Try not to freak out." Why does she keep trying to keep me down?

Went to the corner store. It was raining, so almost no one was there... which was nice. The person who was there...

...It was Akira.

Damn it, I thought I wouldn't see him again after I broke up with him...

He went over to talk with me, surprised to see me. Apparently he's going to some small artsy kind of college. "Least I'm not a ronin," he said. I smiled the sort of smile that if you see in in a renai you know they're faking it, you know? He didn't pick up on it.

Told him I was busy, knee deep in Ori Ochi Onoe... apparently he does play some renai games. "Not the really sick ones," he added. Ha. Sure you don't. I told him O3 was in English. Apparently he's fluent.

Said he'd check it out, then asked me if I was allright. I don't know what he's implying by that; he told me I looked... down. I really don't know...

He gave me his number... just when I thought I was over him...

I asked Tochan for advice. She seemed to do well enough. She just looked at me funny and said, "He's trouble, and you're in no position to be dating anyway. I mean, look at this place. It looks like a tornado ripped through the Hirameki art studio and deposited all it's junk across the bedroom and kitchen."

Remind me why I ask Tokho for advice again?

Still... I kind of miss him, but I think he'd freak if he saw me here...

I'm going to bed to sleep on it.

The example of play isn't by me. I could never play this. Hits too close to home. But I thought you'd find it interesting. And maybe we could talk about it?
Ashes
Melon Class

Re: Hikikomori: The Game

Postby Relee » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:47 pm

Oh, I thought you were going to link to the Hikkikomori: RPG that Paul Robertson did the art for. That was a depressing game. o.o;;
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Jennifer Diane Reitz » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:57 pm

This is brilliant. And creepy.

Your story is both of these too.

Interesting.
Jennifer Diane Reitz
'Giniko-chan'
Jennifer Diane Reitz
Creatrix

Postby Monthenor » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:52 pm

Relee wrote:Oh, I thought you were going to link to the Hikkikomori: RPG that Paul Robertson did the art for. That was a depressing game. o.o;;

I was also expecting the video game. That game was funny until I hit a brick wall at the first boss.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Ashes » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:53 pm

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:This is brilliant. And creepy.

Isn't it! The whole "solo-journal-keeping-RPG" thing is really a fun idea. But it is creepy: I can't quite bring myself to go through character creation.

Jennifer Diane Reitz wrote:Your story is both of these too.

Oh, it's not my story. That's someone else whom is not me. If follow the link, there's several more episodes.
One of them even has a (stolen) illustration.

Monthenor wrote:
Relee wrote:Oh, I thought you were going to link to the Hikkikomori: RPG that Paul Robertson did the art for. That was a depressing game. o.o;;

I was also expecting the video game. That game was funny until I hit a brick wall at the first boss.

Wow. That looks pretty cool. I've been a fan of Paul Robertson ever since Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle 2006. I'm surprised I never stumbled upon this before.
Ashes
Melon Class

Postby Relee » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:50 am

It's really not cool. It's an art-game about how much you the player personally suck. The only way to win is to not play, or to give up because it's too hard.

You won, Monthenor. ^.^

The bosses are beatable, or so I'm told, but the effort required to beat them is so intense that only someone who is like the main character could defeat them. A friend of mine played it for a while untill he couldn't stand it's existance as a mockery of himself. I didn't much care for it that way either, and I didn't even GET to the first boss. I just fought through a portion of the first dungeon.

The pictures are sure pretty though. <3
-- Relee the Squirrel --
Relee
Watermelon Graduate

Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe 2

Postby Jade Cat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:44 pm

I saw the title and thought Yume Nikki.
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Jade Cat
Blueberry Class

Postby Monthenor » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Hooray I won!

Braid has a similar statement about video-game obsession done in a similar-but-still-painful way.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Alfador » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:29 am

Jade Cat wrote:I saw the title and thought Yume Nikki.

You're not the only one.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Return to Games and Gaming