Weird Effects of Video Gaming

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

Weird Effects of Video Gaming

Postby Plasman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:35 am

Okay folks... Have any of you ever experienced this strange effect after playing a particular video game possibly for much longer than you ought to:
1. Play the game for an extended period
2. Finish playing the game, and go to bed/relax/whatever
3. Close your eyes, and see images from the game occasionally and randomly appear in your field of vision

This happened to me a couple of times when I was younger, and it occurred again a week or so ago after I was playing Puzzle Bobble DS. It doesn't usually last for very long, though - maybe a few hours, if I'm feeling particularly tired. I usually take it as a sign that I've been a little too involved with the game.

I've heard of a similar effect happening for Tetris players (Wikipedia article on "The Tetris Effect"), but I'd like to know if anyone else here has had an experience like this.

If you have, Remember: Game Responsibly.
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Re: Weird Effects of Video Gaming

Postby Coda » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:15 am

I didn't realize the Tetris Effect was observed enough to have scientific research done on it. o.o I've definitely experienced it. I've also had my mental Tetris game kick my butt.

I find the possibility quite intriguing -- and useful -- that playing puzzle games after a traumatic event helps prevent development of traumatic memories.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby draque » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 am

I've had some similar effects to that. When I was a kid, I would play obscene amounts of NES/SNES RPGs on emulators, and it got to the point where I would increase the framerate and to speed up the games and get more done. When I played for 8+ hours in a day, the fast forwarded games would invade my dreams, and feel like fever nightmares ^^().
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Alfador » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:26 am

Yup; when I was little, I made the mistake of telling my mom about it. She forbade me to ever play Doom again (as if I'd adhere to THAT restriction) because she thought I was getting possessed or something.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Plasman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:58 am

How old were you when you told your mother about this, Alfie? Because if you were, say, ten years old, and told someone that you kept seeing bloodied zombie marines and fireball-spewing alien brains when you closed your eyes, then that probably WOULD be grounds for concern. :D

The first game that triggered the effect in me was Wizball for the C64. I played that game to the bitter end just to see what happened when you finished colouring in the worlds {the result? You get to DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN}, but when I closed my eyes I kept seeing the tracer particles that explode when the Wizball crashes into an enemy. Man, it was weird seeing those flashy dots in my eyes; I was glad when they finally went away.

And yet, there have been many other games that have captured my mind, but haven't brought out the after-effects. Super Mario? Nope. Sonic? Nope! Maybe it has something to do with the actual game design, perhaps? It seems to mostly come from games and tasks that have a repetitive nature to them; once your mind is keyed in to the correct task, it starts to "learn" it to the point where it becomes second nature, except that it gets stuck in the mode and tries to carry it over to everything else. Maybe? :?
If this last post seems ridiculous, please disregard it. Thank you. ;)
________
By the way I made two level packs for Boppin' in case anyone is interested... :oops:
Plasman
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby Coda » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:58 pm

It does seem particularly relevant to puzzle games -- something where pattern recognition and muscle memory play as much of a role as actually thinking about the game itself. It applies to Dance Dance Revolution, too, for some people.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Alfador » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Plasman wrote:How old were you when you told your mother about this, Alfie? Because if you were, say, ten years old, and told someone that you kept seeing bloodied zombie marines and fireball-spewing alien brains when you closed your eyes, then that probably WOULD be grounds for concern. :D

I think I was in junior high at the time.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby masstreble » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Only with puzzle games. I guess a light version of the Tetris Effect. I can pretty much play said game in my mind at will. Lumines, occasionally, too. Depends on my mood. Some days I feel more Ku, others more Hina. You know how it is.

OFFTOPIC ZONE
Wow, the forum is so different now. A lot more graphical. Nice palette, though, earthy reds, that's a tricky one to pull off, too. Usually it turns into low-saturation brown soup, but this is great! Lots of texturing, too, to give the forumites an aesthetic of writing on paper. And woah, jeez, look at all the emotes. o v o
masstreble
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby Sparksol » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Perhaps not just puzzle games? Had a Mario Kart Wii marathon at a friend's place to celebrate their new apartment, and on the drive home kept getting impulses to pull into the oncoming lanes to get ahead of the traffic, and I saw one of the street signs as an item box for a fraction of a second.
"Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way."

- strange_person
Sparksol
100 Post Little Master

Postby Coda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Sparksol wrote:Perhaps not just puzzle games? Had a Mario Kart Wii marathon at a friend's place to celebrate their new apartment, and on the drive home kept getting impulses to pull into the oncoming lanes to get ahead of the traffic, and I saw one of the street signs as an item box for a fraction of a second.

That's a different, but related, phenomenon. The "Tetris Effect" specifically refers to playing the game in your head when you're otherwise idle. What you've observed is more a matter of patterning -- you inadvertently trained yourself to expect certain things and your mind presented that to you in a similar situation.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Postby Alfador » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:05 am

Earlier today, I saw a phantom box with three slashes and a numeral 0 in it--likely from the BadKitty interface mod for WoW, which shows exactly that when the Rip debuff has expired from the current target.
Arf! *wagwagwag*
Alfador
1000 Post Forum Master!

Postby masstreble » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:50 am

Sparksol wrote:Perhaps not just puzzle games? Had a Mario Kart Wii marathon at a friend's place to celebrate their new apartment, and on the drive home kept getting impulses to pull into the oncoming lanes to get ahead of the traffic, and I saw one of the street signs as an item box for a fraction of a second.

Hoo boy. That's one of those rare occurrences where video games really are dangerous to the player.
masstreble
Blueberry Class Leader

Postby strange_person » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:35 am

Hello!

Praise be to Athè, and Hob, Her living vessel.
2<3
For I have crescent pies to bake
And smiles to throw before I wake
strange_person
2000 Post Medal Of Wow!

Postby Ejia » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:50 am

Ejia
Blueberry Class

Postby Coda » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:21 am

*chuckles* That's me in a nutshell. Anything that involves putting things in limited space -- like filling a moving truck or grocery bags -- I call "playing Tetris" and it tends to look like that. It's an ability I share with my dad; one time, Office Depot was having a sale where everything you could fit in a paper bag was 50% off. The cashier needed three bags after she finished ringing up all the stuff.
Coda
Magickal Melon 666

Return to Games and Gaming