No More Heroes

A forum for the gamers among us. Which is probably all of us.

No More Heroes

Postby Monthenor » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:42 pm

It's finally time. Who else is going to be wanking their lightsabers this week? And who's buying this game?

EDIT: I didn't realize there were people that didn't know about this game. I was pretty sure solipsism would take care of that for me. You will want to watch these and learn about the most fantastically "what?" game of the year. It's by the guy who made Killer 7, so I'm predicting some deliberately horrible gameplay coated in a thick blob of satire and that special brand of Suda "what?".

Mow lawns! Decapitate! Watch anime! Rescue kittens! Crotch Lasers! It's on sale...maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life!
Monthenor
Apple Class

Re: No More Heroes

Postby Wizard CaT » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:46 pm

Zuh!? @,@
~Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.~ The Creation of Éa
Damn you Clemson University, you deleted the 'sploding Kay that Etherwings uploaded eons ago!
Wizard CaT
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Tychomonger » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:01 am

I am fully aware of this this game. I want it with a burning passion, but I sadly lack the funds.
Hello!
Aealacreatrananda wrote:When I envision a far far future.... I don't fuck around.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
--The Doctor
Tychomonger
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monthenor » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Oh nads yes, this game! The graphics are terrible, but it is beautiful beyond words. Every time you walk through a loading screen, there's this electric guitar sting that puts me in mind of Here It Goes Again. It sounds like someting from a Tony Hawk game, actually.

Travis has a heartfelt and utterly pointless conversation with each boss before clashing. The voice, the script, the motivation is all B-movie material...I hear that Suda does this on purpose, but I think it would be slightly better if it were unintentional.

Your home base is across the street from Burger Suplex.

It really has no right being as awesome as it is, with its terrible motorcycle controls, stylish but jaggy graphics, and limited soundtrack. I think what does it for me are the absolutely perfect Wii touches. Most of your attacks are done with the A or B buttons; swinging your saber and grabbing, respectively. But you tilt the wiimote up or down to go into high (quick) or low (powerful) stances. When a guy gets beat down to the last bit of his life you get a motion-control prompt to swing your saber. It's not much but it's enough to make you feel like YOU are slicing that schmo in half.

Pretty much everything in this game is set up to make you feel like a badass, yet Travis is consistently the goofy kind of wannabe-badass on screen. I hope I feel this good when I'm done with the next six bosses.

Also I just passed the part with the famed Crotch Laser and that guy was a total wimp compared to the boss before him.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby draque » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:53 pm

The game is wonderful. The flaws it has are undeniable, but the strengths simply outweigh them. Anyone who played classic games from the late 70's and early 80's will appreciate the 8bit love that went into the game. At no point does the game allow you to forget that it's a game. You're immersed in situations that delight in their own unbelievability. Also, you get a lightsaber. The main character is named Travis Touchdown. Who is an assassin because he ran out of money to buy videogames with.

Review synopsis: BLIZZAM.
draque
Watermelon Graduate

Postby Monthenor » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:23 pm

draque wrote:The game is wonderful. The flaws it has are undeniable, but the strengths simply outweigh them. Anyone who played classic games from the late 70's and early 80's will appreciate the 8bit love that went into the game. At no point does the game allow you to forget that it's a game. You're immersed in situations that delight in their own unbelievability. Also, you get a lightsaber. The main character is named Travis Touchdown. Who is an assassin because he ran out of money to buy videogames with.

Review synopsis: BLIZZAM.

Dude OMG are you rank 5 yet? The battle for rank 5 was so sweet. Rank 5 and 4 have perfectly suspenseful levels for perfectly opposite reasons.

I'm saving the last three guys for later this week.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Postby Monthenor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Yeah, just beat it. The first half of this game is a kicking action videogame. The last half is art. It's too bad there won't be a sequel.
Monthenor
Apple Class

Return to Games and Gaming